Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Reach your True Ski Potential"

As I check out my options at the top of the Mercury Chair at Breckenridge Ski Resort, I can veer to the right and take the blue cruiser down to the bottom, or I can adventure into the double black diamond tree run to the right.

I ask myself whether I’m ready for the challenge, or if I should play it safe. I hesitate for a moment and head to the narrow opening to my right. The snow is un-groomed and I pick up speed as the pitch becomes steeper. Most skiers find themselves stuck where they are comfortable and hesitate to advance to the next level.

There are several exercises that can help skiers reach their true potential. The first step is having confidence and being mentally prepared, however, you cannot throw yourself onto a challenging run without being physically fit.

Preseason training is a great way to prepare yourself for improvement on the mountain. Some ways to improve include:

1) Cardiovascular conditioning such as mountain biking or jogging.
2) Strengthening leg muscles by doing squats on a single leg.
3) Improve agility by hoping from side to side while staying in a squat position.
4) Flexibility can be improved through several exercises focusing on the back, legs, and quadriceps.
5) Power can be enhanced by practicing polymetrics.

For the latest news on how to get in shape for skiing check out Ski Magazine.

No comments: