Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Out-of-Control Children: A Parent's Worst Nightmare"

In my opinion, one of the coolest things that you can see while skiing is a little kid that is going faster then a speeding bullet down the mountain, making better turns that you, or even mastering tele-skiing at the age of ten. It is amazing how effortless it is for a little kid to get the hang of skiing. All it takes is a little pizza and french fry; at least that’s what the instructors always told me when I was learning to ski.

I remember one of the first times my family took my sister and I to the mountains. I never worried about getting out of control. In fact, I enjoyed getting out of control because most of the time that meant I was going fast. One of the funniest memories I have from that trip is flying down the mountain, being unable to turn to avoid the orange plastic fence that kept kids like me from crashing into a tree. Luckily, I didn’t weigh enough to break though the fence. It acted as a sling shot and flung me back onto the run. The look on my mothers face was priceless. All I can say is that I feel bad for parents who have to ski with children whose favorite part of skiing is getting out of control.

Children are beginning to ski when they can walk. Resorts offer ski school programs for kids as young as three years old. It is important to prepare for the weather and wear a helmet for safety reasons. Also, make sure that you start at a resort that has a wide variety of beginner terrain. You don’t want to get caught on a black diamond run your first day out with the family.

No comments: